Thursday, December 2, 2010

AWESOME Cheese Sauce


I've been wanting to add my cleaning and cooking tips to my blog for awhile so this is the first installation in that trend! I'm a homemaker and while I'm crafty I'm a homemaker first. I want to share the things I've learned doing what I feel called to do as well as what I make for fun!
(though cooking yummy things is hardly work)

We were making nacho's tonight and I decided to write down how we make our cheese sauce. It get rave reviews when we make it for family and friends. Hubby has taken it to work with chips in the crockpot many  times and it's required when they do potluck meals. lol

Here's how to make it:
Ingredients:
1/4 Stick of butter
1/6th cup of flour (half of a 1/3)
1 cup milk (we use 2% or vitamin D)
1 cup of cheese (Read tut before measuring out) I recommend Kraft Mexican blend TACO cheese. It has a light seasoning to it and tastes WONDERFUL melted.
Paprika and red and black pepper to taste

NOTE:I also strongly recommend a nylon whisk and non stick pan. This stuff will stick and become like glue when it cools. The nylon whisk is flexible enough to get in all the crevices of the pan, and mix well without scratching the pan. We got ours at Target for less than 5.00 and use it ALL the time.


Melt Butter in pan on medium heat.
Add Flour and salt and whisk together till smooth.
Remove from heat and add milk then return to heat, (if you do not remove from heat it can scorch in the time it takes to measure milk and add it.)
Stir Constantly till well blended, slightly thickened, and when you stop stirring it starts to bubble. It will be steaming hot.
Here's how you can tell it's thickening properly. the edge of the pan will crust a little and the milk will stick a little.
Add cheese, Do not pack the cheese to measure it.
Stir till cheese has melted.
Remove from heat, add seasoning, and stir in.
Turn burner on low, Serve and enjoy!

I highly recommend you rinse your pan, and soak it before washing. It helps so much(even on nonstick pans)!


Let me know what you think and if you have any questions!

No comments:

Post a Comment